What is my truth?
What would make me extremely happy?
How do I want to feel?
These are only a few questions you should ask yourself when taking a hard look at how you live life each day. It is an interesting fact that if you ask any multi-millionaire if money makes them happy their response is: money isn’t everything; it helps you to move things along and to get things done, but it isn’t everything.
We were doing research for a client’s branding project, and as part of the process we watched a series of recorded presentations of prominent and highly successful people. There was a common thread being spoken, but not readily seen. We’d like to share some of these insights in hopes of helping you realign where you are in your business and to help you move closer to your passion and purpose in life.
Here are the top ten statements that seem to resonate with success.
1) Don’t limit your life; you can change and mold it any way you want. You can choose how you want your life to be.
2) Have a passion for what you do, and you’ll overcome any obstacle. Do what makes you happy, and you can’t go wrong.
3) Design for yourself; work on your relationships, business, career, life and create your dream. You are in control of your life.
4) Don’t sell crap, set standards and be a leader; be accountable (this even applies to how you act). Do what’s right.
5) Build a great team and lead with a common vision. A common vision allows people to come together to truly create something wonderful.
6) Don’t do it just for the money; it’s about what is good for all involved. How does your business impact everyone (clients, employees, partners)?
7) Always do your best; be proud of what you do and what you create. Own what you do and be proud of it.
8) Build around customers; you can’t please everyone; be true to who you are, your vision, and your purpose, do what is right. Yes, you may make mistakes, but always respond with integrity.
9) Marketing is about values, who you are and what you stand for and believe. Stick to your values.
10) Stay hungry, stay foolish, trust, and don’t settle. Allow yourself to continuously grow and learn.
It is important to see your life through your own eyes and not through the eyes of others. Success for you is what you determine it to be, not what others think. One of the greatest downfalls in achieving your success is what we call your “identity theft,” how another’s perception creates your reality — or allowing another entity, society or community to determine who you are.
Make conscious decisions along the way for how you want your business, career, and life to be. Be strategic about not sacrificing your vision and your purpose. Continually take steps to get closer to your vision. Don’t rush, go slow and be purposeful.
There is no right answer or silver bullet, you do what is right for you, but leverage your purpose, vision and values as your guide. And above all, have fun and think differently — invest in you.